Georgetown is a city in and the county seat of suburban Williamson County, Texas. With a population over 50,000. Southwestern University, the oldest university in Texas, was founded in 1840 and is located in Georgetown about one-half mile from the historic square. Georgetown has a notable range of Victorian commercial and residential architecture. In 1976, a local historic ordinance was passed to recognize and protect the significance of the historic central business district, and in 1977, the Williamson County Courthouse Historical District, containing some 46 contributing structures, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Georgetown is also known as the "Red Poppy" Capital of Texas for the red poppy wildflowers planted throughout the city. Georgetown's Red Poppy Festival, which attracts up to 30,000 visitors annually, is held in April each year on the historic square.
Below is additional information that I hope you will find informative and useful.
Area School Information
Knowing the schools in the area is an important step in choosing a neighborhood. Get started here by using these resources.
- Georgetown Independent School District - With 17 campuses and over 10,000 students, you're kids are sure to love meeting new friends and being challenged in school.
- Southwestern University - Located in Old Town Georgetown is Texas' oldest higher learning institution. A beautiful campus, diverse learning and significant community involvement is all found at Southwestern.
- Of course, there are many other learning opportunities in the area including Austin Community College (ACC), clubs and orgnanizations with various classes and the Georgetown Public Library.
- Click here for a list of other area Independent School Districts.
City Resources and Businesses
Moving to the area involves getting several things lined up and learning what the city has to offer. You will find an abundance of information right here to get started.
- Georgetown Business Network – An organization devoted to the promotion of Georgetown's small businesses, and based solely on referrals, you will find just what you're looking for here.
- The City of Georgetown – links to parks, utility information, departments and more.
- Georgetown Chamber of Commerce – the chamber is very involved in improving and giving back to the community.
- Visiting Georgetown - Old Town Georgetown and the Square is one of the most unique assets to our community. It's all here with shopping, dining and beautiful architecture.
Georgetown Entertainment and Shopping
While Austin and the surrounding areas have lots to offer, there is almost no need to leave Georgetown for activities and entertainment! Here is a short list.
- City Lights Theaters – Georgetown’s finest movie theater
- Mel's Lone Star Lanes – A great new bowling alley in Georgetown
- Inner Space Caverns – A natural maze of caverns just south of Georgetown
- Georgetown Parks – with a nationally ranked playscape and miles of trails, Georgetown has the finest park system in the area
- Golf Courses – the list is long of outstanding golf courses in Georgetown. I'll be happy to make a recommendation
- Wolf Ranch – a large assortment of stores including Target, PetSmart and more
- Round Rock Outlets – just a few short miles south of Georgetown are the outlet stores with lots of choices
Georgetown is quickly growing into a hot spot for fine dining and some real treats! Try any of these great Georgetown restaurants
- Down the Alley Bistro – Gourmet coffees, lunch and dinner on the Square
- Wildfire – Located on the Square, you’ll get a real treat at this restaurant
- Plaka Greek Cafe - A tasty Greek treat here in Georgetown
- Mariachis – Terrific authentic Mexican food
- Duke's BBQ – great food in a great setting
- Dos Salsas – Right off the Square, you'll love the food and margaritas
- Monument Cafe – one of Georgetown's staple's you'll get great food breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Georgetown Winery – located on the Square, Georgetown Winery makes delicious wine and offers live music.
Additional School Information:
Austin Independent School District
Round Rock Independent School District
Pflugerville Independent School District
Leander Independent School District
Hutto Independent School District